To post a job opening, please submit a description of the job electronically by e-mail to AAAR (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). The price is $150 U.S. for up to 200 words plus .50/word above 200. The posting will remain as long as needed, up to six months. Please send a check (payable to the AAAR) to Attn: Jackie Wu, AAAR, 11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 350, Reston, VA 20191, and note that this is payment for a job posting on the AAAR Web Site. You may also call Jackie direct at 1-866-972-7222 to pay with a credit card. Sorry, we do not accept purchase orders.
Postdoctoral scholar position: FT-IR and ACSM, University of California, Davis
Posted January 13, 2022
The Air Quality Research Center at UCDavis is seeking a Postdoctoral Scholar to perform research using Fourier Transform-Infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR) and Aerosol Chemical Speciation Monitor (ACSM) instrumentation to study ambient organic aerosol composition and contribute to enhanced organic speciation measurements in the Atmospheric Science and mEasurement NeTwork (ASCENT). The post-doc will measure laboratory, smog chamber and ambient organic composition data using an ACSM and FT-IR. The post-doc will use these measurements to develop parameterizations of ACSM data that increases the chemical resolution of OA from the ACSM. Similar types of empirical parameterizations have proven useful for estimating the contribution of carboxylic acid to OA measured by aerosol mass spectrometers. The parameterizations will be incorporated into the ACSM data analysis tools for chemical composition and source apportionment for ASCENT.
The candidate must have a Ph.D. in Atmospheric Science, Chemistry, Chemical or Environmental Engineering or related. Interested individuals should send a single pdf file containing a cover letter, CV, graduate transcripts, date of availability, contact information of three references, and up to three published papers to Dr. Ann M. Dillner (amdillner at ucdavis dot edu). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For the full job posting for this position, including candidate requirements, and other open positions with the ASCENT network, see https://ng.chbe.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/ASCENT_open_positions.pdf.
Postdoctoral Position in Climate Modeling and Computational Science
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Posted January 10, 2022
The Environmental and Climate Sciences Department seeks a Postdoctoral Research Associate to work closely with the Computational Science Initiative’s Applied Mathematics Group on coupled aerosol/land? atmosphere models for optimal experimental design via coupled model?data integration, uncertainty quantification, and observing system simulation experiments. The successful candidate will have a strong interest in atmospheric and/or land?surface process modeling, and in the climate science application of artificial intelligence/machine learning techniques. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
In this project, we are leveraging our combined expertise in coupled land?atmosphere/aerosol systems and advanced computational methods to build a novel, adaptable, and scalable computational framework for rapid model?measurement assimilation, leading to advances in climate model predictability, shortened timelines between observation and discovery, and optimal observational network design. Essential duties and responsibilities include model?data integration and parameter estimation, evaluation of model calibration on predictive uncertainties, and the optimization of observational systems to reduce identified model uncertainties.
If you would like further information about this position, please contact Dr. Chongai Kuang.
Posted December 16, 2021
The Division of Atmospheric Sciences at the Desert Research Institute (DRI) is seeking a post-doctoral fellow to conduct research in its Environmental Analysis Facility (EAF). The EAF is a world-renowned laboratory equipped to measure chemical and physical properties of atmospheric contaminants and conduct laboratory and field air quality studies.
The post-doc will focus on and perform the following activities:
- Conduct laboratory combustion experiments to measure emissions from NASA relevant fuels.
- Design and test filtration modules for personal aerosol sampling.
- Design, integrate, and characterize portable low-cost air quality sensor systems.
- Conduct laboratory and field studies of aerosol and air quality characterization.
- A doctoral degree in atmospheric or environmental sciences, chemistry, mechanical, chemical, or electrical engineering, or in an equivalent field (completed by the end of December 2021) from an accredited institution.
- Experience in laboratory and field studies, including experimental design, data acquisition, and data analysis.
- Experience in instrument/sensor design, integration, and characterization.
- Demonstrated ability to perform research and publish results in peer-reviewed literature.
Interested applicants are directed to the DRI website (www.dri.edu/labs/eaf/) to find additional information about EAF's research activities.
To view full details and apply, please visit DRI’s careers website at: https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/DRI-External/job/DRI---Reno-NV/Postdoctoral-Fellow--Aerosol-Scientist_R0127135.
DRI is an AA/EEO employer that employs only U.S citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the U.S. Women and under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in the field of Bioaerosols
Posted November 17, 2021
More than a school, Université Laval is an entire community in the heart of Quebec City, a complete university recognized for its leadership and its culture of excellence both in teaching and in research.
The Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Bioinformatics of the Faculty of Sciences and Engineering at Université Laval invites applications from qualified candidates for a tenure-track faculty position in the field of bioerosols and affiliated with the Canada Research Chair on Bioaerosols.
The Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Bioinformatics is composed of 19 professors working in the area of microbiology, biochemistry, biophotonics, synthetic biology, systems biology and bioinformatics. There are currently over 300 undergraduate students and 80 graduate students enrolled in its academic programs.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Develop a research program in the field of bioaerosols within the research center of the Quebec Heart and Lung Institute (IUCPQ);
- Obtain external funding to support the proposed research program;
- Participate in the teaching in French language of courses offered by the Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Bioinformatics;
- Recruit and supervise graduate students;
- Participate in the activities related to the collective missions of the Department and the Faculty.
Candidates will have to demonstrate their potential and expertise in teaching and in conducting research activities. They must possess a solid expertise in microbiology, or related science, and demonstrate their potential for developing an independent research program in the area of bioaerosols or aerobiology. Applicants must also demonstrate the following:
- Hold a Ph. D. degree in a relevant discipline;
- Postdoctoral experience, or equivalent, of at least one year at the time of application;
- A strong potential to develop and conduct an externally funded research program;
- The interest to recruit and supervise graduate students (M.Sc. and Ph.D. levels);
- The interest to collaborate with the Canada Research Chair on bioaerosols (holderCaroline Duchaine,https://bioaerosols.ulaval.ca/) at the research center of IUCPQ and with other professors of the Department;
- The interest and pedagogical skills for teaching;
- Good oral and written communication skills in French (or to be strongly committed to develop them and in accordance with the collective agreement for Professors).
Equity, diversity and inclusion
Valuing equity, diversity and excellence, Université Laval is strongly committed to provide an inclusive work and living environment for all its employees. For Université Laval, diversity is a source of wealth, and we encourage qualified individuals of all origins, sexes, sexual orientations, gender identities or expressions, as well as persons with disabilities, to apply.
Université Laval also subscribes to an equal access to employment program for women, members of visible or ethnic minorities, Aboriginal persons and persons with disabilities. Adaptation of the selection tools can be offered to persons with disabilities according to their needs and in complete confidentiality. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to qualified individuals with Canadian citizenship or permanent residency.
Rank according to experience.
Salary according to the prevailing collective agreement at Université Laval (between 86 359$ and 152 626$, depending on rank and experience).
Position starting date: June 1, 2022
Posting end date: February 1, 2022
Web links for additional information:
Information on the Department: www.bcm.ulaval.ca
Information on the Canada Research Chair on bioaerosols: https://bioaerosols.ulaval.ca/en/
Information on the Quebec Heart and Lung Institute (IUCPQ): https://iucpq.qc.ca/en/research/research-centre
Procedure to submit an application
Interested persons are requested to submit a dossier containing a presentation letter, a detailed curriculum vitae, the proposed research program (2-3 pages) and the names and full contact details of three reference persons, who may be asked to provide letters of recommendation. The application must be submitted electronically as a single PDF file to:
Manon Couture, department head
Department of biochemistry, microbiology and bioinformatics Faculty of sciences and engineering
Email : email@example.com
Posted November 15, 2021
The Atmospheric Chemistry Laboratory at the University of Florida seeks to hire one postdoctoral trainee in the area of algal aerosol chemistry and modeling. Sea spray aerosol generated directly above red tide events can contain high concentrations of algal toxins such as brevetoxin (BTx). The research will characterize the environmental factors such as sunlight and atmospheric oxidants on the lifetime of aerosolized algal toxins and develop the aerosol model. Seawater will be collected during red tide bloom and introduced into a large outdoor photochemical chamber (UF-APHOR) to mimic the atmospheric process of algal aerosol.
The ideal candidates need to demonstrate a strong background in atmospheric aerosol chemistry and instrumentation as well as experience in developing aerosol models. Candidates must have a Ph.D. in atmospheric chemistry or related fields. The initial appointment is for one year with the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and available funding.
Complete applications, including a cover letter, CV, and publication list, a statement of research interests, and contact information of 3 references should be submitted to Dr. Myoseon Jang at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 30, 2021 for full consideration. For more information about the research project and application process, please contact Dr. Jang.
Postdoctoral Position on Aerosol Nucleation Experiments at UAH
Posted October 20, 2021
Summary: A post-doctoral research associate position is available in the Dept. of Atmospheric and Earth Sciences at the University of Alabama in Huntsville (USA), under the supervision of Prof. Shanhu Lee for research in laboratory kinetics experiments of multicomponent aerosol nucleation. The primary duties will involve the design of experimental apparatuses, execution of laboratory experiments of nucleation from natural and anthropogenic precursors using high-resolution time-of-flight chemical ionization mass spectrometers (HrTOF-CIMS) and state-of-the-art aerosol instruments, and publication/presentation of scientific findings. Visit https://sites.google.com/uah.edu/shanhulee/home/research for the group research activities.
Qualifications: Candidates with earned doctorates in chemistry, physics, atmospheric sciences, engineering, or other relevant disciplines are encouraged. Candidates are especially encouraged to apply who, in addition to the above qualifications, have experience in the operation of chemical ionization mass spectrometer and aerosol instruments or in new particle formation studies.
Posted September 2, 2021
Lead innovative aerosol research to support product development and optimization for a fortune 200 company with some of the most iconic brands! Have a Masters degree or PhD in Aerosol Sciences? Have experience in aerosol generation and characterization? If so, we want to speak with you!
We are currently seeking an Aerosol Scientist to join the New Product Assessment group within the Analytical Sciences department located in Richmond, VA.
Specific accountabilities include:
- Develop and formulate comprehensive research plans encompassing technical specifications, resource requirements and timelines in order to understand aerosol dynamics: evaporation, deposition and hydroscopic growth
- Conduct independent research utilizing state-of-the-art aerosol instrumentation to gather critical aerosol characterization data (physical and chemical) to support prototype development and optimization
- Support and coordinate cross functional activities within RD&S and serve as a technical liaison for research activities across laboratories
- Utilize resources and expertise to generate required data in validating computational models
- Grow organizational capability and foster an environment of continuous improvement by staying abreast of new developments in aerosol characterization methodologies and aerosol instrumentation.
- Conduct feasibility assessment and make recommendations for their applicability and implementation for aerosol research
What we want you to have:
- Masters degree or Ph.D. in the field of aerosol sciences or related area
- 1-3 years of experience in aerosol generation, condensation aerosol, aerosol sampling techniques, particle instrumentation, particle characterization techniques, and instrument design
- Significant fundamental knowledge and expertise in the area of aerosol dynamics: evaporation, deposition and hydroscopic growth
- Ability to independently craft experiments, analyze and interpret experimental data using medium level statistical analysis techniques and draw conclusions
- Excellent technical writing and communications skills as demonstrated by presentations and publications in the areas of expertise
- Knowledge in analytical chemistry is preferred
In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your skills toward key strategic objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, participation in our deferred profit sharing and incentive compensation programs as well as a relocation assistance package.
Altria Client Services Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or other legally protected characteristic.
Tenured/Tenure Track Faculty Positions in Aerosol Science and Technology at University of Miami
Posted August 30, 2021
The College of Engineering (CoE, https://www.coe.miami.edu/ ) and the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences (RSMAS, https://www.rsmas.miami.edu/ ) at the University of Miami invites nominations and applications for multiple tenure-track/tenured faculty positions in Aerosol Science and Technology at all levels (Assistant, Associate or Full Professor. The primary appointment could be in the Department of Chemical, Environmental and Materials Engineering or the Department of Atmospheric Sciences. Joint appointments with other university departments are also possible. The University of Miami’s College of Engineering has embarked on university-wide strategic initiatives related to the University’s Roadmap to the Next Century. The search is open to all areas of aerosol science and technology, with preference given to individuals whose research and teaching complement energy and environmental foci, and advanced materials research underway at the University. Some areas of emphasis in aerosol science and technology include atmospheric sciences, climate change, instrumentation, nanomaterial synthesis, advanced materials, clean energy, ambient air quality, combustion, satellite monitoring, distributed sensing, particulate matter control and others.
Details of these Searches can be found in the Faculty Openings page - https://www.coe.miami.edu/resources/faculty-openings/index.html and the application can be submitted via this link Review of applications will begin immediately, but applications will be received until the positions are filled with an initial priority date of November 15, 2021. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Chair of the Search Committee, Dr. Sakhrat Khizroev (email@example.com)